As reported on Business Insider:
Good morning! This is the tech news you need to know this Tuesday. Sign up here to get this email in your inbox every morning.
Have an Amazon Alexa device? Listen to this update by searching "Business Insider" in your flash briefing settings.
Event alert: Join us Thursday, December 17 at 3 p.m. ET for a panel discussion on how to get hired in VC. Sign up here.
- SolarWinds says 18,000 customers downloaded compromised software. Reuters reported the breach allowed hackers to gain access to US agencies and businesses for almost nine months.
- The FTC ordered 6 tech firms to share how they collect data. The US Federal Trade Commission is ordering Amazon, Facebook, WhatsApp, YouTube, Discord, ByteDance, Reddit, Snap, and Twitter to show the agency how they collect and use people’s personal information online.
- Google was hit by an hour-long outage. Gmail, Docs, YouTube and other services were down for logged-in users around the world on Monday morning thanks to an issue with Google’s authentication systems.
- New European laws are set to hobble the tech giants. The EU is on the cusp of unveiling a host of new policy plans on misinformation and competition which could have serious implications for tech giants like Apple, Facebook, and Google.
- Pornhub wiped unverified content amid claims it hosts child abuse content. The number of videos visible on Pornhub’s search function went from 13.5 million to 4.7 million on Monday morning.
- EA is buying Codemasters for $1.2 billion. The company outbid another American video game publisher, Take-Two Interactive, which previously announced intentions to acquire Codemasters for just shy of $1 billion on November 10.
- The creator of "Cyberpunk 2077" is offering refunds. As soon as the game launched, players started complaining about bugs, poor graphics, and faulty game mechanics – particularly on last-generation consoles.
- TikTok’s app is coming to TVs for the first time. A partnership with Samsung means the app is available to download on certain smart TV models in Europe, and will be pre-installed on new TVs going forward.
- Exclusive: Amazon discussed a rival to Shopify. Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos was directly involved in the talks, as Amazon executives have grown "defensive" about Shopify’s massive growth in recent years, a person familiar with the matter said.
- Exclusive: SpaceX is raising funding. SpaceX is looking to double its $46 billion valuation from that August round, which would bring it $92 billion. It is expected to close this round of funding in mid-to-late January, they said.
Source: Business Insider
Author: email@example.com (Shona Ghosh)
Date: 2020 12 15
PS To People Who Want To Find Must-Read Content but Can’t Get Started:
Get Rid of That Information Overload!
We read everything and we keep only Pro Content about:
– Business #Strategy
– #Startups Strategy
– #Growth Hacking
– Artificial Intelligence #ai
Why do we do it? Because #SharingIsCaring